Thursday, June 26, 2008

Restoring The Divine In You

In my training I as a coach, I was introduced to the Hawaiian method of healing called Ho'oponopono. The word itself means to "make right" and bring "Divine Light" into self and others. This healing method brings to our awareness the discord that arises within us from painful memories that we have held unto, the release of which would bring us into a place of peace and love. I remember learning this process of letting go and bringing love and light into any situation. It was powerful and trans formative as I did this for myself and clients. The native Hawaiians use this every evening to let go of the events of the day, whether they were viewed as good or bad. The idea being that nothing would be carried into the next day so that the day could begin with a clean slate.

Recently I read a book about an updated form of this ancient healing method. The author begins by talking how he became interested in this. He heard a story about a therapist who healed a whole ward of criminally insane men while on staff at a hospital in Hawaii. What piqued his interest is that this therapist never saw the men in a professional capacity. When the author found out that the story was true, he eventually tracked down the man, Ihaleakala Hew Len, PhD, and asked him how he did it. His reply was simple but profound. He said he would open each case and look it over, and then ask himself the question, What in me contributed to this man's problems? He would then notice what feelings and emotions came up in him and worked to clear them in himself. After he had been doing this for several months, the administration began to notice that the attitudes of the men and the staff were getting better. There was less violence and eventually the restraints from the men could be removed. Soon programs were being created and the men were able to participate in the larger community without the threat of harming themselves or someone else. Eventually the ward was closed because it was no longer needed.

This is truly an amazing story, an account of how one therapist used Ho'oponopono to make right what was within him and restore himself to the Divinity that is within each of us. Dr. Hew Len believed that we are responsible for the pain of others by what we still have to heal in us. The process he used was so simple that many were skeptical at first. He would be in a meditative state and used these words...

I'm sorry for the part I played in your pain
Please forgive me
I love you
Peace

I agree that at first one might wonder how these words could be so powerful but it is much more than just the words, it is the intention behind the words that make it powerful. The first phrase is really about repentance and forgiveness for yourself. How often do we stop and remember that we are not only responsible for our actions, but also our thoughts and feelings we have about others. And then equally important forgive ourselves for that action. The words I love you and peace are calling upon and connecting that which is Divine. It is truly a process of making right and calling upon love and peace to restore balance to our souls.

As children, we learned to say I'm sorry, forgive one another and "make right" the situation. But as adults we have sometimes forgotten to do this in our relationships, and almost never for ourselves. To me it almost feels a little like unconditional love you can offer yourself, infused by the divine light of Spirit. As I have been using this process for myself over the last several weeks, I have found it peaceful and transformative. It is not often we readily take responsibility for the pain in ourselves and others and then offer forgiveness, love and peace. Sometimes at night I find myself going over the events of the day and saying these simple words. I can feel the energy that comes up inside me as I work to heal myself and I know that energy extends out beyond me. Imagine how much healing capacity we each hold within us and we can affect each other and the world around us. Blessings to you as you use these simple words to restore the Divinity that is within you.


Blessings to you,

Sandy


For more information about us go to http://www.counselingandhealing.com/

Sandy Thibault is a speaker, author and Life Coach at Burnsville Counseling and Healing Center. She is also co-founder of the Institute for Peace and Joy. If you would like to make an appointment for coaching please call 952-435-4144.

No comments: