Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Wonder and Light of the Season...


Thanksgiving is over, my sons have gone back to their college's and homes, and some of the preparations for Christmas have begun. In our family, we have a tradition to watch the Muppet Christmas Carol on Thanksgiving night, which officially begins the holiday season. I especially like the music, in part because it is happy, but also for the meaning in the lyrics. Toward the end of the movie, a question is asked...How do you keep Christmas in your heart? That is a question worth pondering, regardless of your religious belief. It is true that Christmas is a religious holiday, but I believe it is also a time of spiritual wonder and light.

My heart must have known I would ask how I can keep wonder and light in my heart even before the words were spoken. In reality, it is not really a holiday question, it is a life question. This past week a wonderful children's book was put in my hands...well actually about 10 books. I won't be keeping them all, but I'm sure you will hear about a few of them. The one I want to tell you about is called, Kiki's Hats by St. Paul author Warren Hanson. It is about his next door neighbor who knitted hats for fun and gave them away. When she gave her hats away she always gave two, one for the person and one for them to give away. It caught on like an epidemic and soon people far and wide were giving away her hats because it was a good thing to do.The inside cover of the book says, "We each have the power to create something good that can last a lifetime ~ and beyond. That what happens when we let our own lights shine; we pass hope on to others. I think that is what we are all called to do...to let our inner light shine so that it can illuminate the path for someone else.
With this story in mind, I ask you... how will you let your light shine? How will you let the wonder and light of the season fill your heart? How will you pass on the hope?
In the week to come you will receive more information about how you can Pass on the Hope. We realized the need for hope is on-going and continues long after Stories of Hope ended, so we have idea's that will help you pass it on to others. Look for that information coming soon.
If you would like to hear what others said about Stories of Hope and see pictures of the event go to http://www.counselingandhealing.com/stories_of_hope.aspx
Peace and Joy,
Sandy


No comments: