Friday, April 20, 2007

A "Not So" African Reflection

It has been one year exactly since I had the opportunity to spend three weeks in Africa. The one question I asked myself before I went was, am I willing to allow my heart to open wide enough to take in the experience and would I allow a change to occur in me? I asked the question around Africa, but it is really a life question. We can all ask ourselves right now, in the places where we are at, that very same question. I have heard people say over and over again, there is nothing more constant in life than change. In my own life I know that to be true. I found myself breaking in the places that I hold rigid and opening in the places where I bend. And so yes, I was changed by Africa but I have also been profoundly changed my things right here in my life and community. Change in our world is standing before us like a beacon. It is up to us to use our experience and faith in God to guide our path toward change. In light of the violence in our world, we can no longer afford to be close minded and close hearted. Opening places in ourselves for change to occur is a risk. Our group felt it in Africa, and I feel it at home. However, my experience tells me that allowing a change in me has rewards beyond what I can imagine. Blessings~
Sandy

No comments: