Saturday, August 9, 2008

Following Your Heart...



The idea and the inspiration for this entry actually came yesterday during my mediation. I however did not write it yesterday because I knew there was more to come before it was to be committed to paper, or in this case the blog. I love the picture I found, our path laid out in front of us and the picture of our heart on that path.
Our head represents our deepest longings and our greatest dreams, but to bring them into being it is imperative that we follow where our heart is leading us. As much as I love this picture, it gives the impression that this road is smooth, and sometimes it is. But what do we do when it is not?
That is the question I have had on my mind this week. I think more often than not, when we consciously choose to be true to who we are, we are asked to prove it. Sometimes I feel that obstacles are put in front of us to help us commit to our dream. If we have so much conviction in what we are trying to pursue, whether it is a personal or professional endeavor, life itself asks to commit to it again and again. I have come to the conclusion that this gives energy and momentum to the dream. I would also be lying if I did not tell you that sometimes it is just nice to have smooth sailing.
Many times following my heart meant smooth sailing, but I noticed when the dream was really big, boulders seem to block the path. In my life I had many reasons to "throw in the towel" as they say it. but I always choose not too. Looking back through my life, I had to make life and death decisions with only my heart as a guide. All of us have situations in our life where we have to weigh what our head is saying against what our hearts know to be true. I have found that my head will give me the easy answer, trying to protect me from more conflict or hurt. But when I check in with my heart, I tap into the spirit of God that surrounds and guides my every step. It is that spirit that I have come to rely on as I move forward in this journey. A bit ago I said I have never been a quitter and often I wondered why; often it was the easy way out. So as I write this I know that my path is to follow my heart, even in the middle of obstacles.

Abraham Lincoln said this, "Sooner or later every man of character will have that character questioned. Every man of honor and courage will be faced with unjust criticism, but never forget the unjust criticism has no impact upon the truth." The book that this quote came from is called, A Traveler"s Journey. The main character in the book is faced with what seems like insurmountable challenges and decides to take his own life. In that space between life and death he is granted the privilege of meeting extraordinary people, some famous and some not. In one part of the book he had the opportunity to meet Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln talked about what people thought about him and his decisions, such as putting an end to slavery. In his day and time he was not winning any popularity contest, but he was a man of heart. He knew that slavery was not right and despite harsh criticism, set people free. When asked how he could deal with such harsh criticism he answered this way, "The secret is forgiveness, it is a secret that is hidden in plain sight. It costs nothing and is worth millions. It is available to all but used by few. If you harness the power of forgiveness, you will be revered, sought after, and wealthy. And not so coincidentally, you will be forgiven by others." Lincoln went to say that he can't change people's opinion of him or the anger they held against him, but he can offer the gift of forgiveness. These are profound words said over a hundred years ago and yet they still speak the truth to us today.

I don't have to tell any of you reading this that standing strong in the face of adversity is not any easy task, but I think it is the most important thing we can do to be true to ourselves. Take a deep breath and decide that you will be true to who you are, what you believe and what you were put on this earth to do. And then with all the heart and love that we have inside us offer forgiveness to those who have hurt us. It then becomes our gift to ourselves, offering us unconditional love that nurtures the very spirit that guides us.

Blessings to you this day,

Sandy

To get get more information, visit our web site at: http://www.counselingandhealing.com/upcomingevents.aspx



No comments: