Sunday, August 3, 2008

All IN

This morning I had an opportunity to attend an outdoor community worship service. A friend of mine is part of a singing group called "Sister" and they were leading the service. Just a side note: They are fabulous and right here in our community, so if you ever have the chance to see them perform, please do. The service was simple set in a beautiful park with inspirational music and message. The speaker told his personal story of having it all... money, great career. a wife and family and yet his life was empty and still he was days away from signing the divorce papers that would end his marriage. In desperation he confided in a friend and said he tried it all. His friend replied that he had not tried it all, he did not have a relationship with God. As the story goes, he said his life had always been about him and his ability to make it all happen. He decided then to let it all go and used the metaphor of a poker game. In No Limits Texas Hold'em, when you think you have the best hand you take all your chips and put them in the middle, giving it all up, hoping your hand will take it all. He then suggested you part the chips in the middle and add God to represent that the real power in our lives comes from God.

The speaker was very charismatic and went on for some time as I waded into my own thoughts about what he had said. I very much agree that we have come individually and as a society into a place of making things happen. Most of us believe, at least sometimes, that if we work harder we can make things happen. However, mostly we are left exhausted and still feeling empty just like the speaker said was true in his life.

It is easy to let fear run rampant in our thoughts and wonder how we will meet all the demands placed in front of us. Sometimes it is humanly impossible to see how a solution will ever come. That is it exactly...in our humanness we cannot come to an answer. It is then that we must relay on Spirit to guide and inform us. I believe that our lives our spiritually guided, we were each created with a purpose so unique it is not duplicated anywhere else. If we push all our concerns to the middle of the table and ask that their very essence be blessed and that we give over to spirit our need to make it happen, infinite possibilities will abound.

A few days ago I was working on our web site and could not get a picture on. I had done it so many times before I could have done it in my sleep. The more I tried the more it would not work. I asked all the computer people I knew and no one could help me. In frustration I sat down and tried again but to no avail. It was then that I closed by eyes and sent blessings to the computer. After a few minutes I tried again to still no avail. I took a deep breath in and whispered a prayer that asked for guidance to complete this. The picture got on without any more problems.

This is not a profound story but it is an example of paying attention to the guidance from spirit that is within us and let that inform our lives. Today, as you move through the day, think about if you are trying to control the outcome or if you are working in harmony with spirit.

Blessings to you,
Sandy

No comments: