Sunday, February 3, 2008

Coming into the Sacred...

This week I heard soneone talk about an interview that Dan Rather had done years ago with Mother Theresa. He asked her, when you pray, what do you say in your prayers? She replied, nothing... I just listen. He again asked her, what does God say to you? Again she replied, nothing...I just listen.

Surely one might think that a woman who unselfishlly gave of yourself to the poorest of the poor might have diect line to God. I would have guessed that when she prayed she may have asked for the suffering of those she served to be eased. Perhaps, she might hear His voice as clear as her own when he talked to her, guiding her days. But she insisted that the answer to Dan Rathers question was nothing...I just listen.

This idea has been in my thoughts most of the day as I wondered about its meaning for me. I can picture her in my mind, kneeling in prayer to God and His arms outstreached to meet hers, with only sacred silence between them. It is a place of surrendering the daily cares and stepping into the sacred communion with the deepest part of ourselves and something much greater than we can know. It is a place of oneness with ourselves and spirit that helps us know more than we can see and feel the enourmous possiabililttes that surrounds us.

I'm not sure what you might make of this story or what insights you might have, but as I write this I can't help but feel what it is like to put everything aside and be present with the sacredness that forms the connection between me and the spirit that guides my days. May this be a reminder to you to find the time to surrender the cares of the day and come into the place that is holy within you. May your days be blessed and your life abundant.

Sandy

Please vist our web site for current retreats and workshops http://www.counselingandhealing.com/upcomingeventscalendar.aspx

No comments: