Monday, October 1, 2007

African Children's Choir

A Story of Hope and vision...

A year and a half ago, I had the opportunity to go on a humanitarian trip to Tanzania, Africa. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about what I learned from the incredible spirit of the people in Tanzania. All I have to do is close my eyes and I can be right back in the villages...I can hear the men dancing with bells on their ankles and bare feet stomping out a beat on the clay earth. The drum resonates in your heart and the song being sung moves you to tears. I am surrounded with women and children with babies on their back, dancing around me begging with their eyes to join the dance. I do, and the spirit just moves in and around us until you forget that there could ever be anything that would separate us. It is clear we are all one.

Last night I had the privilege to see the African Children's choir perform. They are part of a program called Music for life. This program was formed in 1984 by accident when people were fleeing from Rwanda. A few adults were able to flag down a bus in the middle of a mass exodus and started picking up orphaned children so they could cross the border to safety. One of those adults realized that the music that is so much a part of their culture would help them heal but also raise money to support them. The program just grew from there. Each year a large number of orphans from Uganda, Kenya, South Africa, Rwanda, Nigeria, and Ghana are helped by the choir program. They have set up schools and camps to help care and educate the children. Along with their studies they learn about the performing arts as a way to heal from the trauma of their lives. From all the children that come to Music for Life, 26 are picked to go on tour to America. These are the children I saw last perform last night.

The children are from 7 to 11 years old and sang with enough passion to set your heart on fire. At one point I closed my eyes and imagined myself back in the villages listening as the children sang and I could feel their spirit move in and around me just like when I was there. Each child introduced themselves in English and told what they were dreaming of becoming, and thanked us for whatever part we played in that.. In Africa education is a privilege and not taken lightly. It is your responsibility to do well in school so that one day you will give back to your family and to Africa so they can become self reliant.

I am sitting in this pew with my eyes closed listening to this choir and my heart goes back to Africa. The people of the villages have nothing in the way of money or material things but they have hope and vision beyond our comprehension The people we talked to had a knowing that if they worked hard enough and was persistent enough they could achieve anything they wanted despite insurmountable odds. The hope and vision I am talking about came from deep inside them. This incredible spirit that knew what was possible for them in spite of what seemed impossible.

That is my question to you...where is that place inside of you where your hope and vision comes from? What is the spark that allows you to keep on, even when things are hard? We would love to hear your stories or poems, see your artwork or hear your music that reflects that spark inside you. If you would like to submit your work you can get more information at http://www.counselingandhealing.com/htm/stories.htm

We are having an event called Stories of Hope. An evening of stories, poetry, artwork and music meant to fill you with hope and inspiration. This is our free gift to the community and we would like you to attend. Please feel free to invite others to join you.

Stories of Hope

A Celebration of the human spirit through music, art and story.

Friday, November 9, 2007 7:00pm
Prince of Peace Church ~ 13901 Fairview Drive, Burnsville, MN

Please join us for this evening of inspiration
offered as a gift to this community!

The Institute for Peace and Joy/
Burnsville Counseling and Healing Center
www.counselingandhealing.com 952-898-6200

Ticket not needed for admission ~ Please invite others to join you
Blessings,
Sandy

No comments: