Sunday, September 23, 2007

Stories of Hope

Stories of Hope
From the time I was a small child in grade school, I was fascinated with people's stories. As a third or fourth grader, I would go to the library and pick out books about ordinary people doing extraordinary things. Mostly they were humanitarians helping to make this world a better place. I was so fascinated with people lives and how they chose to do live their Passion's out in the world. Of course as a small child I did not know that, but in the most basic form, I knew they had much to teach me about life. At the same time, even tho I did not know it, the story of my own life was unfolding. I began looking outside of books for ways to learn about life. My life growing up was traumatic at best and I needed to learn ways to cope. So I listened intently to people as they told their stories so I could learn who they were and what they valued. At an early age I knew if I listened hard enough, I could hear something that would help me find my way. Little did I know that all these years later, I would become a story teller too.

Stories have been around before we had a written language. For centuries it was the only way that traditions and customs of families and villages were passed from one generation to the next. As we have moved on we have found many other ways to tell our stories but none as powerful as when we speak from our hearts. I love to tell stories and almost everything I tell has a story to it. Through the years I have told about my family, my children and the many projects and experience's I have had. Through it all I never once thought I would tell the story of my life that started to unfold when I was a small child. This part I kept hidden away never to be told...or so I thought. Sometimes our life begins to unfold in ways we never imagined and that is what happened to me. As a young child up through high school I was physically, emotionally and sexually abused. This is a story that I had kept under lock and key. I never thought it would be told, but life had other plans. It was a long journey to heal my life but as I did, I started to tell what it was like to go through this difficult time and what it was like to heal from it. I soon realized other people found hope and inspiration for their own lives in what I said. I felt like I entered a holy place each time someone told me thy found a something that helped them see their life in a different light.

That is how the idea of Stories of Hope came about. The idea is that we all learn from each other's life experiences and that gives us hope and inspiration for our own lives. Stories of Hope is an event that will take place on Friday evening, November 9Th at 7 PM at Prince of Peace Church in Burnsviile, MN. The Institute of Peace and Joy, a new non profit in partnership with Burnsville Counseling and Healing Center is sponsoring this event. It is a program of hope and inspiration through people's stories, poetry, music and artwork. We believe in the power of people's stories to inspire and help people find possibilities for their own lives. This program is open for all to attend and is our free gift to the community. There has never been a time when the community as a whole is in need of inspiration.

I am not the only with a story to tell...we are looking for your stories, art work, music and poetry that has lead you through and dark and difficult place to more peace and wholeness. WE want to hear from you and we are asking you to submit your story! You will find more information about this event as well as guidelines to submit your work. You can find this by visiting our web site at http://www.counselingandhealing.com/htm/stories.htm

Of all the stories I have told, and the most powerful I have heard, all came from the same place; that sacred and deep place within our very own hearts. We want you to mark your calendars gather some friends and come to this evening of extraordinary hope and inspiration. See you on November 9th!

Blessings to you,

Sandy


No comments: