Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Guest House


The Guest House by Rumi

This being human is a guest house
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
Some momentary awareness comes
As an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
Who violently sweep your house empty of its furniture.

Still, treat each guest honorably,
He may be cleaning you out for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
Meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
Because each has been sent
As a guide from beyond.

I found this poem quite by accident but as always it was very timely. Part of my life pattern has been to look at emotions I don't like as negative and then judge myself for having them. In the process of doing that I tap into even more negative thoughts that run rampant. Over the last years it has been a turning point for me to look at what comes my way as a gift. It is not something that has to fought and conquered, but instead something to be embraced and learned from. As much as I know this, I can still let fear get in the way. Paulo Coelho wrote it beautifully when he said, "We are afraid of losing what we have, whether it's about our life or our possessions and property. But this fear evaporates when we understand that our life stories and the history of the world are written by the same hand. "
Blessings,
Sandy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://soundcloud.com/user617591907/premium-rush-movie-2012 - Premium Rush the movie, Premium Rush the movie hd, download the Premium Rush game xnxgj,