Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Expect God...


I am sitting on a crude wooden bench surrounded by red clay mud walls and a tin roof. The floor is dirt and high above my head are wooden beams draped with beautiful cloth and tied to look like butterflies. The altar is simple, made complete with a cross and hand woven baskets. This humble room is a church packed with people dressed in traditional African and Maasi clothing. It is vibrant and colorful. The people who cannot get in are 4 deep at the windows peering in to get a glimpse of what is going on. Inside the people are singing and dancing in such a way that it appears well orchestrated. But nothing is orchestrated, they are simply letting the spirit move them. The harmony of their voices and the beat of the drum seem to reach right into my soul...I cannot help but be moved. The tears are running down my face, I have never experienced God in this way. Many times in my life I have looked for God's presence in my life. But here I am, sitting with some of the poorest people in the world and they feel God's presence...they expect God to be there. They don't even expect it, they just have a knowing that is like nothing I have ever witnessed. I could ask where is God in this monetarily poor country, but it never enters my mind. When asked if they ever asked that question they said, Why should we do that...He is here.
I am in the mountain top village of Idunda, Tanzania. It has been more than a year since I visited this village, but all I have to do is close my eyes and I can be right back there. But I am not there, I am here, in one of the richest countries in the world. I have more than I need of material possessions but yet I sometimes find myself asking, where is God today or looking for signs of His presence. How often I forget that His hand is in everything. I was truly blessed to have this experience of grace and love. What if we just for this moment remembered that there is nothing that God's hand is not in...what if today instead of looking for the places we see God that we could just close our eyes and know His presence. May you be blessed and be a blessing.
Sandy

No comments: