Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Everyday Is A Gift

I would like to tell you about my friend Doug. I met him about 15 years ago as we were volunteering in Boy Scouts. You just can't help but like his cheerful attitude, his ability to tell a good story and to see the positive side of life. After our years in scouting ended, I did not have as much opportunity to see him as I did before. He always loved to tell stories and just recently published a book about them. It was so fun to visit with him as he talked about the stories he put in his book. His cheerful attitude, his ability to see everything as positive and of course still tell a good story as well as write one was evident.

There is one thing that has changed and that is his health. He has a degenerative form of MS. When I first met him you never even knew he had it but for many years he has been confined to a wheel chair. With each passing year there has been something lost, a bit of mobility or something he can no longer do. Doug now lives in a group home so he can have round the clock care. As I entered his room, I could not help but be struck by the sign on the wall, Everyday Is A Gift. In my conversation with him, there is no doubt in my mind that he lives that each and every day.

As I left, he told me to come back and visit, but reminded me he is a busy man. It made me know how much richer my life is because I know him and made me wonder about everything he was there to teach me and others. I too, believe that everyday is a gift but often I forget that. I forget that gratitude is a gift and if my friend Doug can be grateful for what he has, it is a powerful lesson for me.

Take time today to remember that everyday is a gift and we have much to be grateful for. Acknowledge the people in your life that bring richness by who they are and what they give to others and remember to acknowledge that in yourself. ~ Remember that each day is truly a gift~
Sandy

No comments: