Saturday, August 18, 2007

Our Children Need...

All children need a laptop. not a computer but a human laptop. Moms, dads, grannies and grandpas, aunts, uncles - someone to hold them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next generation their expectations of them, their hopes and their dreams. ~ General Colin Powell

I stopped for a Starbucks coffee as I was driving to Georgia bringing my youngest son to college. I have to admit that I was feeling a bit sad about leaving him so far from home and then I read this quote on my latte cup. I have three sons and ever since they were small I wanted them to know their extended family in such a way that they could go to them with anything. It was important to me that they learned about who they are and what they stand for. And now I am about to drop my son off so far away and the only thing that makes this better is that we have family about and hour and a half away. They are so excited to have him closer for another school year. They take good care of him and he enjoys being with them. It is a home away from home. In a moments notice they would drive to Atlanta if he ever needed anything or got lonesome.

So tonight, my first night without him since May, I realize how lucky we both are. He has extended family to to be his family when we cannot. They love and care for him as they would their own children. But most of all he will learn from their experience and listen to their hopes and dreams. Take some time today to connect to people close to your family.

In Georgia, my family said that everyone says, Bless your heart...so I said I would sign off my blog with that tonight. So...Bless your heart and those that are close to you!

Sandy

No comments: